Friday, 8 May 2009

Contact: Mainframe

Dear Adam

My name is Michael Williams and I am currently studying on the
BA(Hons) Design & Visual Arts - Moving Image course. Recently looking
through
Mainframe.co.uk I found that your agency was behind the Virgin
1 TV channel ident. Could you direct me to someone within the creative
team that could answer a couple of questions about the ident? I would
be most grateful if this was possible.

Many thanks for your time.

Kind regards

Michael Williams
2nd Year Student
Stockport College

REPLIED

Hi Mike,

Lee [cc'd] will be able to answer a couple of questions for you.

Cheers, adam


ADAM JENNS
- -
MAINFRAME
STUDIO 10, THE PIANO FACTORY
117 FARRINGDON ROAD
LONDON EC1R 3BX
- -
T.
020 7833 5546
DL.020 7923 5488
F. 020 7833 4893

MOTION GRAPHICS – ANIMATION - VFX

REPLIED

Dear Chris,

Thanks for the reply to my email. The North Sea: Trawlers,
Rigs And Rescue Virgin 1 ident I assume is themed around a show on
Virgin 1? From looking at the videos shown on the Mainframe website I
have learnt that they are a 3D and raw footage composites which are
very realistic and quite wonderful to look at! I was wondering if you
could tell me method and the software used to achieve these results?

I would be most grateful if this was possible.

Many thanks for your time.

Kind regards

Michael Williams
2nd Year Student
Stockport College

REPLIED

Hi Mike,

I assume you've seen the breakdown on the website? Footage was stabilised using Syntheyes, logo/seagull/mist/reflections/depth etc were done in Maya and composited/graded in After Effects.

There's too much info to go into how each part is done but look online for tutorials in 3d compositing. That will get you in the right direction.

Doesn't really matter what software you use but the techniques are always very similar.

Good luck.
Chris


CHRIS HARDCASTLE

- -
MAINFRAME
82 SILK STREET
MANCHESTER M4 6BJ
- -
T.
0161 2054763
F.
0161 2057821
www.mainframe.co.uk

MOTION GRAPHICS – ANIMATION - VFX

REPLIED

Dear Chris,

Thank you for the reply! Yes I did see the breakdown on the website,
but I had never thought the seagulls were created in Maya as they look
very realistic! At Uni we also use the same software. There was
something else I wanted to ask. I have recently completed a project in
which I was briefed to design and create a channel ident of my choice
and I decided to create one for Virgin 1. I was wondering if I could
show it to you and ask if you could tell me what you think if thats
possible?

Many thanks for your time.

Michael Williams
2nd Year Student
Stockport College

REPLIED

sure, email it over.


CHRIS HARDCASTLE

- -
MAINFRAME
82 SILK STREET
MANCHESTER M4 6BJ
- -
T.
0161 2054763
F.
0161 2057821
www.mainframe.co.uk

MOTION GRAPHICS – ANIMATION - VFX

REPLIED

Dear Chris,

Attached to this email is my ident. Thank you very much for this it
is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time.

Michael Williams
2nd Year Student
Stockport College

REPLIED

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm doing this quickly.

Doesn't make sense to me. Took me a few watches to work out what was happening. If you're watching this on telly you don't have that luxury.

All the show footage is confusing so it becomes a weak element. If you're going to use show footage make sure it's watchable otherwise you weaken the channel's biggest asset ... it's content.

The quality of finish is quite low. Reflections are too sharp, no depth of field, environment feels flat. If you're going to do something simple then make sure it's executed well.

Overall, why try to do something that's already been done? A channel like Virgin 1 wants to be young and vibrant so although it will keep it's identity in it's logo it wants to do something fresh each time it puts out new channel branding. This feels like a re-hash of what's gone before to me.

So don't take all that to heart but it's important that you stand out from the crowd. We see loads of stuff like this.

My advice - put some more work into your concept and your rendering/compositing/grading techniques.

This is meant as helpful so I hope it is.

Chris



CHRIS HARDCASTLE

- -
MAINFRAME
82 SILK STREET
MANCHESTER M4 6BJ
- -
T.
0161 2054763
F.
0161 2057821
www.mainframe.co.uk

MOTION GRAPHICS – ANIMATION - VFX

REPLIED

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for the feedback. I have found this
very useful and it will help me a lot. There is great advice in that
feedback and its greatly appreciated. I am extremely grateful that you
have took the time to talk to me.

Good luck for the future!

Many thanks for your time.

Michael Williams
2nd Year Student
Stockport College

Here is my ident that is being dicussed.

No comments: