Monday, 12 April 2010

Mathematics Contact

I contacted Mathematics (Mentioned in an earlier post > http://mikewilliams11.blogspot.com/2010/02/empire-of-sun-visuals-mathematics.html)in Australia to ask them some questions about some concert visuals they have produced for band Empire Of The Sun for a festival which I really liked because I think the visuals work well with the band's psychedelic style and I also liked the abstract style used.

e-mail conversation:

"Dear Sir/Madam

My name is Michael Williams and I am currently studying on the BA(Hons) Design & Visual Arts - Moving Image course at Stockport College in the United Kingdom. I am very much interested in the work this company produces especially the work on live concert tour visuals and hope to get into this industry myself one day. I was looking at the work that you have done for Empire Of The Sun and was wondering if I could ask someone a few questions about the work to assist me in my studies?

Many thanks for your time,
Kind regards,

Michael Williams
3rd Year Student
Stockport College
United Kingdom"

Reply:

"sure
fire away..."

To which I replied:

"Hello Josh,

1)Firstly, I have watched some of the individual number from the set on youtube and i was wondering what were the concepts for the majority of the visuals because they are very abstract?

2) How did you work with the screen because it was layered in a way in which it was many screens in the form of arches but from front view it looks similar to a single screen? Was there a template to work to? Was there a specific reason why the screen was built this way?

3) What software packages do you use, because a lot of it looks like it was maybe done in 3D software but i know you can achieve 3D effects in non 3D packages like after effects?

4) Do you have any tips or advice for me on how to visualise music successfully and how to get into the business ?

I am very grateful for your time and I would like to comment on how rich the content was for Empire's performance in terms of colour movement and composition.

Many thanks,

Kind regards,

Michael Williams
3rd Year Student
Stockport College
United Kingdom"

Waiting on reply to questions, the answers will help me understand the design process for this work hopefully and I may gain some vital tips to take to my major project!


No comments: