I was out in Manchester the Friday just gone and I was in the recently opened club FAC251 with friends and was on the second floor where they play retro 70's and 80's soul and R'n'B music, and I noticed they had three 4:3 aspect ratio video screens side by side that are above and behind the bar. On the screens they were showing old black and white movies and this kind of reminded me of Vj-ing, in the sense that visuals were being put to music. The black and white movies were quite bazaar and definitely caught my eye but they didn't have anything to offer with the music. Then a colour film came on that looked like it was maybe a porn movie but it was just scene after scene of topless women dancing to some sort of music, in the scenes you could see that they had a radio with them so I guess that was what they were dancing to. The movement of their bodies and the dancing worked amazingly with the music and it was quite captivating. I managed to catch the name of the film when it finished from its dvd menu that was on the screen and it was Russ Meyer's Mondo Topless. 
I wanted to investigate it further so I could understand the movie's purpose. A description from IMDB says: "After a quick tour of San Francisco, Russ takes us on a nonstop tour of breasts in motion. Prominent strippers strut their stuff as they discuss their careers, bra sizes, and preferences in men. Written by Ed Sutton" And from what I have read it seems to be a documentary. It opened my mind to what extent you can go with visualising music because I'd of never though something explicit like this would work as great as it did.
Russ Meyer's Mondo Topless: IMDB Link
No comments:
Post a Comment