Monday, 8 March 2010

SAINT - Portfolio Visit - London

On Wednesday 3rd March 2010 fellow student Sophie Harrison and I visited the London based motion design company Saint. Saint create motion graphics for a variety of areas in the industry including; advertising, broadcast and live music visual performance which was the main aim for visiting them as I extremely interested in music visuals. Clients for music visuals include Rod Stewart and Muse.

As this company was relevant to the work that I am doing in my major project and what I would like to do in the future, we decided to show them our own work and get some feedback from them on what was good about the work and what needed improving etc. This was also ideal for Sophie as she has done broadcast work in the past and is working on a music video for her major project.

Upon arrival we were welcomed into their studio buy the Creative Directors Nicky and Matt. The studio was quite small consisting of 5 or 6 people across two rooms including designers and a secretary. Firstly we had a chat with them about themselves, about their company and what they do etc. to break the ice. I decided to show them the work that I did for my self-directed project, which was some music visuals. They seemed impressed with my work and managed to give me some constructive criticism and helpful advice on how I could improve it and what parts were effective etc. Specifically they told me that because for parts of the work I was very literal in what I was visualizing that to make it better I should make the work more literal as the work was fun and had a strong narrative. After we both showed our work and got feedback we continued to talk to them about many issues in design including techniques and software etc.

I found the visit to be very helpful to me, as I know what I need to improve on in my work. Also I left the visit brimming with confidence that I could perhaps be able to handle working in the industry as a result of their feedback. When leaving the visit we discussed the possibility of sending them samples of our work in the future, which they were happy to go ahead with.

http://www.creativesaints.co.uk/index.php

No comments: