Thursday, 6 May 2010

Internship Arrangement Email Update (Contact Reports)

(READ FROM THE BOTTOM UP!)

The problem with agents is that they take a commission...I never used one. Only been here for about 3 or 4 years and always found places through web research. There is a website called Westsiderentals.com
You have to pay something like 60 dollars but you have access to a lot of ads and they are usually more reliable than craigslist....I'll also keep an ear out for anything. What would your price range be?


On Apr 19, 2010, at 3:58 PM, Michael Williams wrote:
Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for the sound advice! I bet it's great living near the beach!

I was looking at craigslist the other day in fact, but I will try your link, it maybe different than my search! Can you recommend any decent property agents or companies I can look at on the web?

Many thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

On 19 Apr 2010, at 21:27, Alex Czetwertynski wrote:


Ok, let me know once you have gotten through the Lynda and 3d fluff tutes. I will send you some more advanced ones at that point.

Yes, send me stuff whenever you have it.

In terms of accommodation...I live in Venice beach. I am about 45 min away from work so it is a long drive every day. But I feel that if I'm to live in LA, I might as well live by the beach... I also surf and have a young daugther, that makes sense for us.
If you were to get a car (which you kind of need in this town) you might want to think about where you want to live. The hollywood hills can be very nice, Los Feliz, Silverlake. Downtown has an interesting vibe.
The cheaper areas would be Mar Vista (still close to the beach) and Culver City (a lot of film studios and artists).
Let me know if I can help. Have you tried losangeles.craigslist.com?

Best
Alex

On Apr 19, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Michael Williams wrote:
Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for the advice as I have been researching already for accommodation. I am considering driving but I need to think it through some more.

The C4D tutorials I have at the moment are the lynda.com Cinema 4D R10 Essential Training and 3D Fluff Training For Cinema 4D. I am currently trying to get a hold of the lynda.com Cinema 4D R11.5 Essential Training cd rom, as I have the 11.5 version of Cinema 4D. I will look into Mograph and definitely learn it. I use AE frequently and I'm looking to improve my skills on that too. AI & PS I have been using for a few years and have knowledge of both. I would be willing to look at anything you decided to share with me because it can only help even more!

I am 20 years old at the moment and will be 21 in May. I do have other samples of work that are being updated within the next month for the end of year show and my portfolio. Is it ok if I share these pieces with you then?

Many Thanks,


Mike


On 19 Apr 2010, at 20:10, Alex Czetwertynski wrote:
Hey Michael

In terms of apartments, you should probably look around Hollywood. Our office is located at 627 Sunset Blvd. 90028 LA CA. We are at the corner of Sunset blvd. and Cahuenga av.
If you don't want to drive, find a place that is close and get a bike or walk.

Which tutorials did you get for C4d? I definitely feel you need to learn Mograph as much as you can. Also develop your modeling skills as much as possible. If you are interested, I have a lot of tutorials I can share with you.

You definitely need to get comfortable with After Effects, as the combo of Cinema4d and After Effects is what we use all the time. Try to look into all the ways to connect music with graphics in both those applications (sound effector in C4d and the "convert audio to keyframes'/Soundkeys options in AE). I would also get comfy with Illustrator and photoshop. That will get you in a good place.

How old are you? Do you have any samples of work you have done other than the one you sent me in that first email?

Best
Alex


On Apr 18, 2010, at 11:07 AM, Michael Williams wrote:
Hi Alex,

I have already looking at apartments etc, any tips or advice on where I should looking? I'm trying to find somewhere cheap! Is the public transport in LA not very good or something? I can drive anyways so getting a car is an option I can ponder over further. I have recently acquired some C4D tutorials 6 dvd's worth and will be looking to get some more! I would say I have a decent knowledge of 3D software after working with it for over two years using Maya. I finish university in early May and will dedicate my time then to preparing for this internship. What other software packages would you recommend I focus on? I am Adobe CS friendly too! I would really appreciate it and be really grateful if you would share with me whatever you can as i believe every little helps!

From this internship I expect to gain experience and knowledge of the creative industry. Also, the chance to be in a working environment and working with others on projects making some beautiful pieces of work! I do think also that this experience in the end will greatly enhance my own personal skills on many levels including technical, design and people skills. I hope that I can bring something to your team that would be good for all! I am extremely passionate and have continuos interest in this area of moving image design.

I'm very grateful for such an opportunity

Many thanks

Mike


On 18 Apr 2010, at 01:42, Alex Czetwertynski wrote:
Yes that sounds good.

A couple of questions
-Are you going to be ok looking for lodging and transport etc...? LA is a city where it is pretty hard to get around without a car
-What will you be learning between now and september? How much prep work are you willing to do in learning specific things about C4d and other software so I can make sure we optimize your time here? I could point you to certain tutorials and send you some things I feel would be good for you to watch/read which would give you quite a good edge on things.

Also please let me know more about what you would expect from an internship such as this

Thanks
Alex

On Apr 17, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Michael Williams wrote:
Hi Alex,

That sounds great. Would six months starting in September be ok?

Many thanks!

Kind regards,

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

On 17 Apr 2010, at 00:55, Alex Czetwertynski wrote:


Hey Michael

So I finally was able to discuss this with my boss.
What he suggests is that we pay you when we are in production on a job (we factor you into our budget) and when we are not in production you do not get a salary.
Would this work for you? The base salary we would pay an intern is 15 dollars an hour.
Keep this between us, but I think that if you can prove you are capable of more than an intern normally would, your rate could easily be renegotiated.

Let me know

Best
Alex

On Apr 13, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Michael Williams wrote:
Hi Alex,

What do you normally do? I don't really understand.

sorry for any inconvenience!

Thanks

Mike



On 13 Apr 2010, at 20:33, Alex Czetwertynski wrote:
Hey man
I did. My boss is in Australia, he should be back in a few days. It should be fine.
Can you let me know if you need compensation? Would you be ok with getting compensation only when you work on a given project?

Thanks
Alex

On Apr 13, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Michael Williams wrote:
Hi Alex,

How's it going? I was just wondering if you received the email I sent the other day?

Kind regards,

Mike

No comments: